Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Social Code Response


         The Social Code is the kind of book that I find I really have to pay attention to get into, to focus on all the aspects carefully. But it's a good book, with bits of romance and intensity and excitement. This novel is about two freshman twins Amelia and Adam Dory, who are on scholarships at Stanford University. Adam and Amelia have been inseparable, reliant on each other since a young age. Amelia is an incredibly smart programmer, typing and coding day and night, but Adam is less like that. He doesn't really have a focus, a passion that fuels him to sit down and work at it all day. But he wants to use Amelia's smartness to start a business, and later they do, although it is really not her initial inclination. In this book characters have really mixed emotions about things that are going on in their life, like their futures and their relationships.
      
        Adam is dating a girl named Lisa, the daughter of Ted Bristol, the extremely wealthy owner of a company called Gilby and though she finds her absolutely gorgeous and amazing, at a moment he (they) are having really mixed emotions with each other and getting defensive and angry. For example, at one part they are fighting about Lisa's dads company and Adam's sister. As the fight heightens, they start saying horrible things to each other, such as "I don't know, Adam. Maybe he was trying to help you poor, pathetic foster kids" and "You little disrespectful, stuck-up... How dare you?" Adam is having strong defensive emotions towards his sister. They have been each others friends, condolence and ally since they were little and he wants to protect her against people, even if they had been previously mad at each other. Lisa is only thinking about the effect of what Amelia did (sent an email to people about how illegal and invading of peoples privacy is and causes the news to spread widely) has on her family. She is miserable about the state Amelia put her family in. At the end of the argument, their emotions change again. They start kissing and apologize to each other for everything. So although they finally ended up at this agreeing and loving stage, they went through a ton of frustration to get there. In the book Amelia also has a lot of mixed emotions about starting a company. She is an independent girl, doesn’t want to be someone lured in by money, sold in. She wants to program not so people can exploit her and give her tons of money, but because she is passionate about it. In the end, she gives in and starts a business, because her and her brother need this badly and I think she only really does agree because they do.
        So far, I think this book is really good and although at first it’s hard to get into and books about computer nerds and huge investors and companies doesn’t seem like a book I would normally pick up, I really like it and will probably suggest it to anyone looking for a book. It has good characters, romance and scenes that leave you hoping or upset (in a good way) I think I would rate this book a 4 out of 5, which is pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment